Purpose of Program
- The Purpose of the Utah Farmworker Program is to provide services to farmworkers and their families in an attempt to:
- Help achieve economic self-sufficiency,
- Contribute to the stabilization of the farmworkers’ continued employment in farmwork,
- Acquire skills that permit them to upgrade their employment in agriculture or to progress to other employment outside of farmwork, and
Support the farmworker during job training.
- These services are designed to help stabilize farmworkers in their current situation to continue their current agriculture work, and help increase:
Emergency Assistance with Food, Clothes, Shoes, Transportation, or Rent
$200 to $400 annual assistance for qualifying farmworkers in the area they need the most help. Farmworkers have less worries regarding financial and emergency needs. The workers are able to focus and perform more productively.
- Pesticide Information Distribution
All farmworkers that are contacted are given bilingual EPA Pesticide Booklets. These help educate the workers on proper hygiene, workplace safety, health and handling information. The more educated farmworkers are on working with pesticides, the less likely there is to be injury and illness; Less days of work are lost, and the farmworkers are able to work harder and longer.
- Referral Services
When health, rehabilitation, legal, educational, housing and other services are needed, the appropriate referrals are made. Services are coordinated to address the need. A healthy, well cared for farmworker is a better employee than one with unresolved problems.
- Farmworker Benefit
- Benefit for Farmers
These services are designed to assist farmworkers acquire skills that permit them to upgrade their employment in agriculture or to progress to other employment outside of farmwork, and to support the farmworker during job training.
|Examples of Services Available:||Support Available During Training:|
30 Farmworkers Annually Receive These Training Services Statewide.